Friday, September 9, 2011

The Gold Standard

With the rise of Ron Paul and the fall of the stock market, more people are thinking about the fact that we base our monetary system on sand and fantasy and speculation. Of course paper money has no intrinsic worth. On the other hand, it's hard to believe that unusual metal veins in the earth's surface are worth anything, either. Cowrie shells? Maybe.

My own Paul likes the barter system and has recently traded his computer services for a reconstituted snowplow with the guys at Bell's Auto in Varna. It helps to have a skill; no one is clamoring for my editorial expertise, although I have been known to throw together a brochure in exchange for baked goods. And while I'm talking about Bell's, here's a shout-out to the great folks at Bell's in Dryden. For the second time in two years, they've charged me nothing for checking out weird noises that turned out to be mostly in my head (although today's involved scraping a little rust off the rotors). It's so nice to have a car place that's local AND good-hearted. Worth its weight in unusual metal veins, in fact.

No comments: