Monday, October 26, 2009

Can't Tell the Players Without a Scorecard

To me, the most curious thing about last Thursday's "debate" in Dryden was that if I closed my eyes and listened, I couldn't tell the Republican town candidates from the Democrats. Everyone wants to move cautiously on gas drilling (not that the towns have much power, except when it comes to tracking aquifers, driveway access, and road repair costs). Everyone wants to control spending, offer opportunities for recreation, keep our roads in good repair, etc.

All things being equal, then, I have to support the people I know will work hardest.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds suspiciously like an apology for voting for a Republican...

KAZ said...

Not at all. It's an acknowledgment that the GOP has co-opted the local Dems' message. In my town at least, the Dems work furiously, and the Republicans, as my one-time cooperating teacher said of the lowest reading group, "just waddle along."