Wednesday, March 5, 2008

A Big Bear Hugged One

Then there were two. Huckabee's out, and McCain gets a bye. . . all the way to the convention, while his opposition battles to exhaustion. This may be good for democracy, but it absolutely sucks for the Democrats, who will spend all their money and energy surviving until August while McCain cruises and looks Senatorial.

I don't think GW's endorsement today does him a helluvalot of good, though. Every thinking voter remembers 2000 and is not fooled.

2 comments:

Simon said...

I think the extended Democratic primary could actually be a good thing, keeping the story and the names out there for longer.

However, the value of that depends not on the length of the primary, but on how the candidates try to win. If it's a bashing slog-fest, we have a huge problem. If they manage to find better ways to have a conversation, we could have something great.

I'm guessing we'll avoid the 1968 scenario, but I'm not certain how much better we'll do.

(We have to get out of the idea that primaries are automatically a bad thing, and find ways to push them into more interesting and useful conversations than they've been for a long long time.)

KAZ said...

I don't think that primaries are automatically a bad thing, but I do think there's such a thing as primary ennui, where the voters throw up their hands and say, "Enough already!" I'm almost there, and I like this stuff. And yes, I'm worried about the quality of the conversation. I liked this piece in Sunday's NYT where the former candidates talked about what wasn't being talked about:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/02/opinion/02candidatesintro.html?ex=1362373200&en=3a126b3b0b2f63e0&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss