Thursday, November 15, 2007

No Rifles, Please

SmileyCentral.comSo far, despite neighboring counties' acceptance, Tompkins County doesn't allow the use of rifles in deer season; hunters are restricted to shotguns and bows. I hope it stays that way. As O comes up our quarter-mile driveway after school, the sound of shotguns aimed at targets is all around, as locals pattern in their guns. With a shotgun, you can pretty much see where your bullet will land. With a rifle, if you miss your target or prey, the bullet can continue for hundreds of yards.

The first couple of days of deer season, I'll probably drive O down and up. If rifles come to the county, I'll keep the dogs inside. There won't be a minute of the season where I'll feel entirely safe.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness......I was having the same thoughts just last week. We were playing in our backyard, and kept hearing gun shots that seemed VERY close by. It is very disturbing to me. Needless to say, we stopped playing outside.;(