Monday, March 12, 2007

SAZ Weighs In

Heard from SAZ, who points out correctly that I haven't chosen sides on where Congress should be headed on issues such as Iraq. He says, quite reasonably,
I'm not very happy about how the Dems are doing. I know (with more experience than you) that their thing is mainly to go off in all directions at once. Many of the things the Congress is doing are good things, but it would be preferable to have a united face. I don't think they're likely to gain a lot of votes for '08 by following Murtha's lead. But then, I'm an OLD Dem.
I am the first to admit that I have not the slightest idea what we should do about Iraq, although my knee-jerk reaction is to pull everyone out now. Nor am I tied to holding candidates accountable for their original vote on authorizing the executive branch to do whatever it wanted to do; I'd rather look at what they're doing now. Perhaps paradoxically, I would like to see Congress exercise its subpoena power, get rid of Gonzales, and start looking into the many impeachable offenses committed by this administration. Whether they can do that while moving the country forward remains to be seen, but I don't think the issues of the past six years can just be swept aside. We need to learn from them so as not to repeat them.

No comments: